Friday, January 12, 2007

Whither the Adventure Game

Well now that I know that there is in fact something wrong with me, I feel as if a great burden has been lifted. Now I can talk about whatever random thoughts enter my mind. Those of you who visit the mothership regularly (and that should be everyone, the site's great), and who obsess over what all of us here are playing, know that one of the things I am currently playing is Telltale's Sam and Max series of games. I can't tell you how happy they make me.

I grew up typing commands to King Graham and Roger Wilco, clicking on drunken pirates, and helping save the world from an evil tentacle, and all in games which offered me no direct control over the main characters. These were Adventure games with a capital "A" and they have almost completely gone by the wayside thanks to a negative media that would apparently rather play 600 RTS's when they aren't cruising through 357 FPS's. Sam and Max is great, but it represents the exception to the rule. I would argue that the "death" of the adventure game genre nicely corresponds with the death of story-telling in at least a segment of the video-game field.

Will adventure games ever get the comeback they so richly deserve? Only time will tell.

No comments: