Wednesday, January 03, 2007

PS3 Woes

Now, I personally believe that the current tendency of the media to bash the launch of the PS3 is a bit unfair. A system does not generally show its true colors at launch, and while I agree that the launch could have been better there is still much to like in what amounts to the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market. That being said, Sony is severely testing my patience this week.

In order to play PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3, a user is made to create what Sony calls an "internal memory card." Essentially this internal memory card is simply a block of data which is formatted to look like a memory card to those games from earlier Playstation eras. In general, the system works wonderfully. On Monday, however, I awoke to play a quick hunt or two on FF XII when much to my surprise, though the card still existed in my system's memory, the contents of said card were nowhere to be found. 71 hours of FF XII...gone. 15 hours of Okami...gone. 20 hours of Bully...gone. And it turns out that I am not the only one to have this happpen. Its amazing to me that the media hasn't seized on this as a major problem. Compared to the hullabaloo about Backwards Compatability (which as far as I can tell is mostly well executed on the PS3), this problem is far the more serious. In a mere two months Sony has managed to make my expensive new toy feel like junk.

No comments: