Monday, October 30, 2006

The Hype Machine is Rollin'

So the month of November is upon us and, as has been the case in recent years, the bulk of the AAA video game related items are being released in this 11th month of the year. This list includes, among many others: FFXII, Zelda, Gears of War, Resistance, the PS3, and the Wii. I thought as a celebration of reaching this pinnacle of video-gaming we here at the Den could celebrate by regaling each other (and our dear readers) with tales of hype both justified and not-so-much. I will get the ball rollin'.

It was the summer of 1997, I was knee high to an elephant's eye, and thoroughly excited about two things: my senior year in high school, and a little game by the name of FFVII. I was to excited for this later item, as a matter of fact, that I carried around my pre-order slip for the game in my wallet throughout the summer. By the time I handed that tiny slip of paper to the cashier in September, it had been torn, taped together, thrown into a pool, and blow-dried. Needless to say, that preorder slip and me saw a lot. Fortunately, it turned out to be well worth it, and the game went on to be known as one of the best RPGs of all time. Still, that was more luck than anything else. I have also been burned by the untamed beast that is the hype machine.

Anyone else in the Den have any stories like mine?

No comments: