Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Odin Sphere Love

Well, I know I've been away for a while, but I had no idea that this blog had been so co-opted by love for Odin Sphere. Since this is my first video game related post since that game's release I figured I'd chime in on the phenomenon.

First, I think that much of the adoration for this game stems from the depths of the drought we are currently in. In the last month, Odin Sphere is just about the only game worth getting, and in the next two months it is entirely possible that Odin Sphere will remain just about the only game worth getting. This has a tangible effect on how we perceive its greatness. Basically we are like so many thirsty men in the desert of a video game summer, grateful for any small oasis that we come across.

Second, I can't speak for everyone here, but I wasn't expecting much from Odin Sphere, and what I got was a great deal better than I had hoped. When expectations are exceeded to the extent that they are in this case, the whole game takes on a better shine. Its easier to ignore the various faults (the slowdown, the similarity of the bosses, etc.)

Third, the game is just good. Maybe not worth ten posts in the last two weeks, but still...

Those are just my thoughts, and since this topic has been covered to death on this blog, it will be my final one on the subject. (I have to make time to actually play more of the game after all).

No comments: