Monday, March 05, 2007

Nostalgia

So, in honor of Command and Conquer 3's imminent release (and, of course, in honor of the simultaneous re-release of cheesy full-motion video) I decided to pick up Command and Conquer: The First Decade this weekend. I must say that I am impressed on a couple of fronts. As a child of the 80s I have often purchased compilation packs, be they Space Quest, Mega Man, or Midway. Up until now, the Mega Man Collection has been my favorite. That collection featured re-mixed music and the ability to modify the earlier games' controls to mirror the refinements of the later games. It exemplified how cool a compilation could be.

Now, with Command and Conquer, I really feel that the same type of ease of use has come to the PC (and yes I know that the game has been out for quite a while). Unlike the Sierra compilations (or god-forbid, an illegal emulator), the C+C compilation is easy to use, and completely compatible with XP. And I couldn't be happier about it. Cruising around to tunes like "I'm a Mechanical Man" and "Fight, Win, Prevail," manipulating my little sprites to take out other little sprites makes me happy, and all the more excited about C+C 3. And wasn't that the point?

No comments: