Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Best Season Yet?

I love the fall for one reason and one reason only. No it's not the weather or the way colors of the leaves change. It's the time for new videogames and in the case of this fall, new systems. In the next three months (hell, the next three weeks) there is so much to be excited for if you are a gamer. The PS3 and the Wii will be launching this season, in addition to triple-A second generation 360 titles (mmmmm....Gears of War). In addition the, PC will soon be seeing some sweet titles such as Company of Heroes next week and Neverwinter Nights 2 in early October. I'm sure there are plenty of titles I'm not thinking about (right now I am kind of obsessed with Company of Heroes since I love Relic and I love RTS's) but suffice it to say it looks like a great year to be a gamer.

In addition, I want to say that this was one of the better summers I can remember, at least if you owned an Xbox 360. Dead Rising, Prey, Saint's Row, Enchanted Arms, and Chromehounds all have offered fun and varied experiences on Microsoft's new console. While this list isn't particularly long, in the summer it's amazing to get even one or two great games, so getting five on a relatively new console seems unprecedented. I remember when the summer was a true dead zone for games (much like TV) and you'd be lucky to find an 8.0 in the bunch. It's good to see some publishers promoting summer releases. That being said, I think there's a lot of money to be made by a company that decides to move its releases to the summer, and take advantage of the low level of competition and high number of gamers thirsty for a new game during the summer drought. It just doesn't make sense to me why someone, maybe even a smaller company wouldn't want to fill that void. Anyway, it's something we won't have to worry about for quite some time, so for now we can just look forward to the panoply of games that are the fall season.

No comments: